Making a website is step #1 towards your online presence. In this tutorial, we will learn how to make a website without any knowledge of coding. The website we are going to make is essentially a self-hosted WordPress website. Why WordPress? Because it provides a lot of customization, many tools, and flexibility. It is also easy to use and easy to move around while changing hosts.
Things you will need
- A domain,
- A good host for hosting your website,
- Responsive WordPress theme for your website.
Domain name is the address and identity of your website in World Wide Web (www). Just like iabhi.com is for this website.
A domain name should describe the niche you’re focusing/targeting on. Though not necessary, still that is good practice. This website does not follow this norm yet site identity does it for me.
The extension (TLDs) of a domain like .com, .net, .org mattered too, but not much today. You can get any TLD which suits the niche but .com is always a better choice for SEO.
The domain name has to be unique. Importantly, for the ‘identity’ purpose and to avoid confusion, so that your audience should not go somewhere else while they are looking for your website. It should be shorter, related to niche and memorable.
There are many domain registrars. Whom I really prefer is Google Domains. For starters, BigRock is right choice. At BigRock domains are cheap, you can get a .com as low as for ₹(INR)99 for the FIRST YEAR on your FIRST PURCHASE.
Pro Tip: After one year completion transfer in your domain to Google Domains
Web hosts are those who host your website files on their servers, which are connected to the internet. That said it’s obvious that great services come with bigger hit on your pocket. But you’re just getting started. Do not worry, there are plenty of cheap hosting services providers.
Cheap web hosts are meant only for getting started. As the traffic of your website grows you’ll need to take care of the many things. There are a lot of things to learn and that is why start with something like this. As of now this website (iabhi.com) is hosted on Cloudways. Look for WebHostFace.com (WHF), they provide cheapest hosting (*Face Standard *plan). Normally it would cost $6.9 but at sign up, they give 90% Discount, bringing down the price to just $0.69 per month.
Reasons to consider WHF:
- It is cheap
- It uses SingleHop infrastructure, so technically your files are hosted on SingleHop
- Easy to use cPanel access
- Free let’s encrypt SSL
- Free CloudFlare CDN
- Most important: One Click WordPress install.
Check out WebHostFace to AVAIL 90% DISCOUNT RIGHT NOW!
The only downside is server response time. Though that should not be a deal breaker because CloudFlare has got your back! If that matters to you then you might consider following hosts:
- InMotion hosting
There are plenty of the web hosts but we are just getting started. We need something to experiment on, and most importantly to learn new things on it.
There was a time when we had to upload the WordPress files manually by FTP. Now things are changed. Using cPanel you can easily install WordPress using the *Softaculous apps installer *via cPanel. Follow these steps:
- Open Softaculous in cPanel.
- Click on install on WordPress icon.
- Select protocol (HTTP://, HTTP://www.).
- Select domain for which you want to install WP.
- Remove /wp from directory option. You don’t want the home address of your website to be domain.com/wp ..right?.
- Enter the name of your website in the Site Identity, enter the tagline too.
- Set admin username, keep it other than admin for security reasons. Also, set a strong password.
- In advanced options, you can select Auto upgrade option for WP, themes, and plugins. You can also select Auto backup options.
- Enter your email at the end on which you want to send all installation details.
- Click on install.
And… you are done! Hope, you know How To Make a Website now. Congratulations! You got a fresh website.